Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I have been tagged. :)

I just talked to Karston and Kayden on the phone! :)
Amber had some neat questions for everyone to answer about their sweethearts. Even though you all may think you know everything about Dad and I--I thought I would attempt to answer each question also. Late last night I realized that our 35th wedding anniversary is coming up fast and I am so grateful for my precious husband who loves me and honors me as his eternal companion. :) Even as we grow older--our relationship gets better and better. I do not doubt your father--I trust him completely. We are not perfected as of yet--but we keep striving and that is what's most important.
1. How did you meet? October 1970 I was a Junior at SFASU and did not have a date for the SFA Homecoming, so I went with my sisters and mom to Gilmer, Texas to a Super Saturday Acitivity that ended that evening with a Stake Dance. Robert was there in his Air Force uniform. My mom brought him over and introduced him to our group from Nacogdoches Branch. He asked both of my sisters to dance before he invited me onto the dance floor, but after our dance--we stayed together for the rest of the evening. He said that he was just about to leave for a year of military service in VietNam. He told me that he would write me. I thought his name was "Robert Holt". I waited for a letter from him--but once over in VietNam he felt like I would be married before he got back--so I have through the years stated: "He wrote every other girl he knew but not me!" One and half years later he was home on leave from the Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, Texas. I had graduated from SFA and was teaching Junior English and Spanish at Henderson Junior and Senior High Schools. I attended Church in Longview, Texas where Robert's family lived. In Sunday School class I was sitting with Denny Hill ( a good friend) when Robert turned around to me and asked the famous question: "Don't I know you?" One thing led to another and that evening he asked if he could take me home from Sacrament Meeting. :)
2. Our first date was a few weeks later when Robert returned home on leave. He picked me up and took me out to eat at a mexican restaurant (not Panchos!) and then over to the Longview Post Office so that I could meet his father B.A. Ault. He had told me to have a family home evening lesson prepared--and I did. We returned to my apartment in Henderson and had our FHE Lesson in my no furniture apartment. :) But I had "Mert"--my toy Chihuahua.
3. How long have we been together? We have been married 35 years this coming June 5th. . . . 38 years since the Gilmer dance when we first met. :)
4. Who eats more? I would say my husband has the largest appetite--but I am no skinny person that is for sure. I eat 2-3 boxes of HEB Raisin Bran per week. That is my main stay.
5. Who said 'I love you' first? Robert told me quite early that he loved me--I knew there was something special about him because I felt so safe with him--but I was not ready to say those words to him. I think this hurt him--and he almost broke up with me because I was not willing to say that I felt the same. A short time later I received a short note from him saying simply:
'Dear Marsha,
Due to low funds I will not be coming home.
Robert Ault'
This letter upset me so much. I called my mom. She told me to tell Robert how I felt. I tried to call him to talk to him--but all he said was 'I didn't know we were going together.' So I sat down and wrote the most important letter of my life. After much pondering and prayer, I knew that I did love Robert S. Ault. I told him that I wanted to be his wife. One of the last questions is WHO proposed first? Robert has always claimed that I did with this letter. I am not ashamed. I will take credit where credit is due. :) A short time later--I arranged with a substitute teacher for a few days off and I flew to San Angelo to see Robert. That night he said 'Let me hear it!' And I replied clear and confidently: 'I love you.'
6. Who is taller? Robert
7. Who sings better? Robert has often told me that I sing like his mother. I have never thought of Grandmother Ault as a vocalist--but Robert meant it as a very special compliment. :) When we were first married Robert would sing a song to me that I loved: "Sariah".
8. Who is smarter: Robert has always said that the kiddos got their smarts from me--but Robert is so knowledgeable about the most important things in life.
9. Who does the laundry? Usually me--but Robert always starts a load of his clothes without hesitation.
10. Who does the dishes? Usually me--and now I have a dishwasher that I love. :)
11. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Robert does.
12. Who mows? Robert usually does--but you can often see me out riding the lawn mower under our hot Texas sun. :)
13. Who cooks? I am the cook in the house and Robert is the grill chef.
14. Who drives when we are together? Robert--sometimes on long trips I take my turn until Robert starts criticizing me--and I will pull over and let him at the wheel.
15. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? We both are often a little slow to repent and say we are sorry--but we do not stay mad at each other for very long because it is horrible when we are at odds because our whole world is upside down until we express our regret and apologies to each other.
16. Whose parents do you see the most? When they were all here upon the earth--I know that we spent a lot of time at Grandmother Ault's. She lived for her grandchildren. They were her whole world. But I needed time with my mom and dad also. Now that only my dad is here--Robert has become such a good son to him. They went fishing together last night. They enjoy each other. My dad has written Robert in as the executor of his will. He told me that He trusts Robert. I am grateful for the time I have now to know my dad and to love him and to help him. He has done alot for us in our homestead here in Nacogdoches.
17. Who kissed who first? I thought Robert never would Kiss me, but he did on that first date we had. :)
18. Who proprosed? (Already answered!) :)
19.Who has more siblings? ME.
20. Who is more sensitive? Most of you would say: 'Mama'--but what I love most about my husband is his sensitive side--he has very tender and powerful feelings for his wife and children and now grandchildren.
SORRY I WROTE A BOOK--BUT I LOVE TALKING ABOUT MY HUSBAND ROBERT S. AULT.
Hope you each have a great day.
Gin--if you read this: Is there flooding up there near your home????? I have been worrying about you all. Let me know.
Love you all,
Mama/Mema

3 comments:

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

I didn't know your lettering writing skills started way back then. I actually learned a few things about you and daddy! :)

Marsha McKneely Ault said...

Ginger--Back when Dad and I were dating there were not that many computers nor cell phones--letters was one of the principal ways to communicate with one another. Dad and I have all of our early letters saved in an old air force duffle bag. I know you all will treasure those letters one day. Hope you and Clay have enjoyed your trip together and are safe. Love, Mama

The Bright Family said...

Ginger you didn't know about the air force duffle bag?!? I remember getting it out & looking at all the old letters. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...