Monday, June 13, 2011

An Induced Coma

I just googled "AN INDUCED COMA". I found out that when doctors pump a patient full of barbiturates, the prognosis is usually bleak. It is a last ditch measure when the doctors feel they are at the end of the game. They are pushing the patient to the precipice as close to "brain dead" as humanly possible in hopes of treating their under lying problems so their body can heal.
What will the patient be like at the other end of this induced coma? It is a leap of faith. There are risks in doing nothing and risks in doing something.

My youngest brother, Leland, lies in a bed in ICU as these words are written, in an induced coma on a ventilator. Blood has been found in his lungs. Doctors are baffled as to what is going on. The lung doctor feels it is his heart and the heart doctor feels it is his lungs. Friends and family members are praying for him. He has nine children. One son, Aaron, is serving a mission.
When he was little, I was assigned to give him a bath. He hated me scrubbing his elbows. He got back at me when I started dating. He would hang from the trees and wait for the young men to drive up and walk up to the house. He was so embarrassing to me.

Please heal him Father if this be Thy will. Let him stay a while longer with his good wife and children. I place him in your arms trusting thy will in his behalf.
This is my prayer.
Marsha Kay Ault

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...