Thursday, October 20, 2011

A poem for Abby Lynn

My Little Pumpkin

A tiny sprout grows out in the back field

where once jack-o-lanterns were tossed.

It quietly grows unnoticed by man

until a small round orange-skinned bulb

appears in the midst of trailing vines.

Frost comes early this year

smiting the little pumpkin

before it is ready to be picked

blanketed with glistening crystals

reflecting the morning sun.

My hands shake as I glimpse the test

a faint line indicates you are real.

My many prayers are answered

to know you are growing inside.

Just like your older sibling

it is not to be for you

to walk upon this earth

even though you’ve walked

upon my heart.

I know, my little pumpkin,

I will see you again

somehow, somewhere, by some

heavenly power we will meet.

The glistening tears of joy will then

smite the pain I now feel.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...