Thursday, June 3, 2010

FREE VERSE VS. OLD SCHOOL POETRY

The Search

I called the number she was last heard from
The man was nice on line to who I spoke
My stomach tightened, nerves frayed, I felt numb
“My sister, have you seen who had a stroke?”
“Brenda--I have not seen at all this day.
Do search on North Beach where she loves to go.”
So this beach we did walk so near the bay
There searching faces, sand between our toes.
At downtown shelters we went and looked too.
“Yes, Brenda comes here but not at this time.”
Lined homeless patrons with nothing to do
My little sister, I’m wanting to find.
To cocaine and beer addicted is she
For many long years homeless she has been
So sadly on streets of Corpus Christi
A note we leave and turn home again
Why does she turn from those who love her so?
From those who want to hold and care for her
A dad, daughters, sister among the fold
A loving Savior whose love will endure
In His hands we place our trust and Sis dear
That somehow, some way, some day, someone will
Be able to touch her heart, bring her near
So she can heal and know His love is real.



The Search
(Free Verse)

A crumpled piece of paper
With a phone number
Of a man she was last with
My stomach tightens as I dial.
His voice, too kind, too agreeable
I had been warned
Not to trust.
He suggests we search North Beach
Where she likes to go
Walking the gritty seashore, the smell
Of dead fish fills my nostrils
There searching faces
Listening for her voice, will
I recognize her? Will she know me?
Soggy sand seems to suction
Pulling me down
With crowds everywhere but
No sister there.
Downtown shelter with
Lined homeless patrons
Sharing cigarette buds and stories of woe
Sitting and lying on the ground,
Their truculent stares let us know we
Do not belong here.
Inside a volunteer woman sits
Behind bullet proof glass
Fear and numbness fill my inside.
One woman with a weathered face
When we ask
Knows my little sister!
Brenda comes here, but not today.
Inside we leave a note for her
Along with a phone card
With the woman behind the glass,
For one last time and with a flicker of hope
Slowly we drive up and then back down the
City streets of Corpus Christi
The bus terminal full of
Addicts, alcoholics, and hurting souls,
But no sign of my sibling,
Why does she turn from those who
Love and care for her?
I cannot be her savior
I know this well, for there is One
Greater who loves her more
In His hands I place my
Trust and my sister.

This whole search was very emotional for me and it is healing for me to put my emotions and guilt and feelings into words. I am meeting with a few other younger sisters who are writers. One teaches at SFA. They said this poem needs to be published. They encouraged me to try "Free Verse" and not to feel inhibited. Which poem do you like better? Free Verse has no restrictions in meter nor rhyme--but uses sensory words--I would to have feedback from each of you. I love you, and I love writing. I will look forward to your comments. :)
Love,
Mama,Mema, Marsha

4 comments:

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

I think I like the free verse better. Don't know why...I'm definatly not a poet. :)

Marsha McKneely Ault said...

Thanks Gin for your reply. I love you.

Angela said...

I really like the free verse. To me, the emotions are more real and you can feel the story play out. It is amazing how writing (in whatever format) is able to help heal and provide relief. You are amazing!

Maria said...

Mrs. Ault,

I looked you up because I am a dear friend and devoted fan of your wonderful daugter Amber. What a beautiful poem. Definitely loved the free verse more and want to know when you plan to publish so I can read more! Desert Book is looking for someone like you . . . :).

Thank you for your example and faith. Amber has been one of the most precious friends I have ever had.

Sincerely,
Maria Payne
payne.maria@att.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...