Dear Seven from Heaven Plus!
All day Saturday Grandmother Mary Lula Denton Ault was in my thoughts. I did not realize until Sunday that Saturday would have been her birthday. I remembered especially her last acts before she left this side of the veil. I was honored and blessed to be at her side those last few days and her final moments. She had been in the hospital and we had talked her into going to a Hospice Center instead of going home. She was very alert and had a very clear mind. In fact I was going to drive her to the Hospice Center--but she made the remark that she did not feel like I should drive her--so we talked with Granddaddy and arranged for an ambulance to take her over to the center. During her ride over she panicked when she had difficulty getting her breath. Aunt Emma and I went to Wal-Mart and bought her a T.V. set for her Hospice room. We had NO idea that she was preparing to leave this side. I remember entering her Hospice room and she was surrounded by nurses and some Church friends. She told me to go and get her purse from my car. I told her that she could do her finances in the morning--but she was adament and I obeyed her. I quickly ran to the car and returned with her purse. She asked me to get out her check book. She said, "I have to pay my tithing." A friend supported her arm and hand as she signed her name on a check and instructed me how much she owed in tithing and that the remainder of the check was to be used to get silver dollars for each of her grandchildren. This was her last official act on this side of the veil. The nurse gave her a shot to relax her. She was very weak. She closed her eyes and her breathing became very shallow and soonafter she quietly and peacefully left her earthly tabernacle. I was not prepared for a world without my mother-in-law. Unknowing to me--I had two daughters along with a young grandson traveling to Longview to see their grandmother--almost to the moment Grandmother was taking her last breaths--Ally lost control of her car on a rain slick highway and was spinning in the direction of oncoming traffic. Suddenly their car stopped within a few feet of the other lane of traffic. I called to tell them that Grandmother had just passed away. Abby said, "Because of this stupid wreck we missed seeing Grandmother." But the thought came to Ally: "What if Grandmother was the one who stopped our car?" When they shared with me what had happened--the warmest feeling filled my whole heart and soul. I asked President Conlin (our Stake President) if he thought it could have been possible that she stopped her granddaughter's car--he replied, "Knowing Mary Ault--it is quite possible!"
My sweet Ginger shared with me that her last time to be with our other Grandma--Delva Stewart McKneely Ricks--my mama--that Grandma had been baking peanut butter cookies with a Hershy Kiss on top of each cookie--so on Christmas Eve in their home they have Pizza with Chips and Velveeta Cheese dip in remembrance of Grandmother Ault and the peanut butter cookies with a Kiss on top in remembrance of Grandma Ricks. They also share favorite memories of grandparents and stories. Here in Nacogdoches we will do the Nativity Scene and eat Pizza and have cookies with a Hershy Kiss on top and share stories in remembrance of those who have gone on before us.
Families are Forever. Grandmother Ault's example of the importance of paying her tithing--was her last final act here upon this earth--let us honor her name and remembrance by being OBEDIENT to the gospel of Jesus Christ. "If ye love me, keep my commandments" were His words to us.
All My Love,
Mama
1 comment:
That made me cry. I miss my grandmothers. It is so sad some of family members will never know them in this life.
Post a Comment